Just a few quick things for today. First, on Comments.
I tend to be very lenient when it comes to comments. There are a few things I won’t tolerate, however. Here are a couple:
- Lying about what myself or others have said on this blog. Disagree with what I or others say all you want. But don’t put words in anyone’s mouth.
- Excessive vulgarity or obscenity.
- Using sock-puppets, or repeatedly dropping comments from different screen names and e-mail addresses. If you want to comment here, pick a name and e-mail, and stick with it for a while. No one-off comments.
This list is not exhaustive, only illustrative.
Deep Strength has a post up on Tim Tebow’s apparent poor choice in women. I find his analysis to be pretty much spot on. To draw upon some of the ideas I mentioned in this post, Tim is being led on by his Appetites. Thus far he has managed to maintain his chastity, but for how long? Eventually, no matter what, when you play with fire you will get burnt.
Tim needs to reevaluate what he is looking for in a woman. He needs to stop, contemplate Scripture, and pray. He is looking in the wrong places, and until he changes that, things won’t get better for him. Here is some arm-chair advice of mine, some of which was echoed in the comments:
- Stop dating/courting women who lack virtue. Remember, you can know a tree by the fruit it bears. Plus missionary dating is foolhardy at best. Would a bank owner hire a bank robber to guard his bank, in the hope that the robber reforms? Only a fool would.
- Stop dating/courting famous women. Really. There are few things more destructive to one’s character than fame. You are unlikely to find a virtuous woman among famous women. Look elsewhere.
- Start looking for virtue first, and then switch to filter for attractiveness. Starting with a group that will work off the bat, and then going for the best in that group is a much sounder strategy than he is employing.
Really, this is kind of sad. Tim is, at least among Protestant Christians, near the top of the male MMV hierarchy. I am having trouble thinking of anyone above him. If he started looking in the right places, he at least should be able to marry well, despite the present state of the MMP.
Be Feminine, Not Feminist has started a new blog, which you can find here. She is blogging under a new name (her real one, apparently) with a focus on faith. My Christian readers, especially the female ones, might find it of interest.
Scott has a post up as well in reply, which I think also merits reading. You can find it here.
I am going to try and respond to both of them as soon as time permits, as I think there is a lot to be discussed on the matter.