A number of bloggers have been covering the relatively recent phenomenon of “Women Against Feminism”, or “I Don’t Need Feminism Because….” Free Northerner has a post up today, Motte & Bailey Example, where he offers some thoughts on the subject. A snippet:
The WAF are rejecting modern feminism while fully accepting the equality nonsense of first-wave feminism and the women-in-the-workforce concepts as givens, then thinking these are not a part of feminism. Sadly (and to their own detriment), the women are only rejecting contemporary feminism while accepting all of feminism’s original values and goals. If modern feminists weren’t so utterly stupid and evil they’d rejoice and call it a day, they won so very hard that even anti-feminists uphold feminist goals and values.
I recommend reading the whole thing.
Vox at Alpha Game has a short post up as well, Nothing Angers A Slave-Owner More. Some brief thoughts by him:
Aging feminists are angry that women are wisely beginning to turn away from an insane and incoherent ideology that is societal and civilizational suicide. And that anger is a positive sign that the equalitarian wave is finally beginning to recede.
He is responding to a feminist attack against WAF, so it is worth reading the entirety of his post as well.
I’m still compiling my own thoughts on the subject, and a full post will have to wait until later. I might even do two, as I’ve been meaning to write a post on the different “strains” of Feminism for a while now. But I do have a few I can share right now. Here they are:
- The “Women Against Feminism” are, despite thinking otherwise, still actually feminists. They just don’t realize it. They are rebelling against the more visible and extreme “strains” of feminism right now, but fail to realize that they are still believers in the older, less virulent strains.
- The WAF are not taking their stand, for the most part, for altruistic reasons. One way or another they see this as beneficial to them, or to those close to them. Perhaps they have seen a father, brother, boyfriend/husband who has suffered because of the more virulent strains of feminism, and it has turned them against that strain.
- The emergence of WAF represents an overreach by radical feminists. As I mentioned above, women are doing this because it is advantageous. This signifies that radical feminism is causing some kind of problem for these women. What is it? Something to be addressed in another post.
- There are reasons to see what is going on as both a victory, and a defeat, for civilization. FN points out, correctly, that feminism is in the air we breath, and thus in some respects civilization has lost. On the other hand Vox points out the emergence of this movement is a defeat for the enemies of civilization, as it challenges some of their beliefs and actions.
- WAF is probably a sign that the non-egalitarian elements of feminism (the outright hatred of men) are on the wane, but the egalitarian aspects are still going strong. That isn’t as much improvement as some might think.
- I see what is happening as an opportunity. It might be possible to reach out to some of these young women and convince them that they need to go further in their rejection of feminism. Not all, of course, as they are benefiting (often greatly) from the fruits of earlier waves/strains of feminism. But if we don’t try we won’t win any of them over.
That is all for now. If anyone else has some thoughts on the subject, feel free to mention them in the comments.